It's week five of the One Room Challenge! If you're just tuning in, I'm designing a bedroom for my 7 year old niece. You can catch up on the process here.
Usually by week 5 I'm in a tizzy trying to get everything wrapped up before the big reveal on week 6, but there has been a plot twist this round of the ORC and we've been given an extra week to complete the challenge! That means the reveal will be coming on week 7, and I have a "bonus" week to finish up some extra projects. With that in mind, we were able to fit in a DIY project for this week!
One of the goals for this room was to find furniture that was functional, affordable, and also stylish. I showed my niece a wide variety of styles, and it became readily apparent that she liked the pieces that had a lot of detail to them. She fell in love with a gorgeous fretwork dresser, and while it met the criteria of being functional and stylish, it was no where near the affordable category. I didn't want her to have to settle on her taste, but I also didn't want to ask my sister to buy her 7 year old a dresser that cost a small fortune. I knew there had to be a better solution. I searched around and I stumbled upon a company called O'verlays that makes fretwork panels to add a custom look to more basic pieces of furniture. I reached out to them to find out more, and they kindly sent over panels for us to use in the room. Now, I'm not exactly known for my DIY prowess (the extent of my ikea hacks have been limited to children's toys), but I figured I would give it a try!
We decided on the jasmine pattern in 1/4" depth for the panels, and opted to add them to a simple Ikea dresser. (Side note, if you ever want to feel like a chicken with your head cut off, plan a trip to Ikea with a newborn and a toddler when you have less than an hour to shop. It's like supermarket sweep, but instead of cash and prizes, you get Swedish fish and a tantrum.)
The fretwork panels arrived quickly and were already a solid white color. They can be painted, but we opted to use them as is to get a more tonal look. We used a clear silicone adhesive, and the process of attaching the panels could not have been easier! I honestly think my 7 year old niece could have done them herself and it would have looked just as good; it was really that easy!
The panels are on, and I could not be happier with how the dresser turned out! The transformation is truly remarkable. Best of all, my niece is obsessed with it. I asked her if she liked it, and my shy, sweet niece said "I love, love , love it!!"
It finally feels like the finish line is in sight for this room! I'm not sure who is more excited, me or my niece! Make sure to check back next week, to see our final week of progress before the reveal! And remember to follow along with all of the other guest participants here.